Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:40 2006
From:

"Too much money" and "the dollar is losing value"! Those are the typical
and what is its cause?"

So what do we mean by the "rise and fall of monetarism"?  I think we need
to define what we mean by the term "monetarism" and in what form did this
ever rise and fall. I think the situation with respect neoclassical
monetary theory and academia, for example, is somewhat akin to the fate of
the Latin language, that is, it never died, but rather it just fell out of
fashion. After Keynes, as instructors began to believe that good
macroeconomics only required some knowledge about the basic Keynesian
"toolkit", they stopped using the old monetarist models.

I've noticed that outside of academia, however, the relationship between
money and prices is as strong as ever in the minds of the general public
and persons engaged in business.

Chas Anderson