From:
[log in to unmask] (Steve Kates)
Date:

In the posting by Robin Neill he noted that I had previously written,
"to a classical economist the notion of aggregate demand was
utterly fallacious". He then added:

"I could not find substantiation for this assertion in the preceding
discussion, and I cannot find a substantiation in my own scattered
recollections of what the classical political economists had to say.
Still, I find the assertion interesting, and, if it can be substantiated,
important. Its a tall order, because what has been asserted is not
only that the classical economists had the notion of aggregate
demand, but that they explicitly stated it to be a false notion; that
is, they conjured up aggregate demand then stated that there was
no such thing.  So, Steve, could you submit some indication as to
how your statement is or might be substantiated?"

The classical statement on Say's Law was that there was no such
thing as a general glut. The clear meaning was that it was
impossible for supply to outrun demand. Whatever might be the
cause of recession, it would never be too little demand for output
(demand deficiency) or, to put the same thing the other way round,
that there could never be more produced than there was demand
(over-production). This was the issue of the general glut debates
and it was settled absolutely in favour of those who denied this as
a potential cause of recession.

That this was the matter at hand was stated by Keynes himself in
the General Theory. There, in noting the outcome of the general
glut debates, he wrote:

"The idea that we can safely neglect the aggregate demand
function is fundamental to the Ricardian economics, which underlie
what we have been taught for more than a century. Malthus,
indeed, had vehemently opposed Ricardo's doctrine [ie Say's Law]
that it was impossible for effective demand to be deficient; but
vainly. For, since Malthus was unable to explain clearly (apart from
an appeal to the facts of common observation) how and why
effective demand could be deficient or excessive, he failed to
furnish an alternative construction; and Ricardo conquered England
as completely as the Holy Inquisition conquered Spain. Not only
was the theory accepted by the city, by statesmen and by the
academic world. But controversy ceased; the other point of view
completely disappeared; it ceased to be discussed. The great
puzzle of Effective Demand with which Malthus had wrestled
vanished from the economic literature." (John Maynard Keynes,
General Theory, p 32)

This is exactly right. It had disappeared from the literature because
the matter had been settled. Demand deficiency, a general glut,
was impossible and there was nothing more to add. It was this
conclusion that was universally accepted by the entire economics
community throughout the entire succeeding century.

That demand deficiency was what the general glut debate was
about is shown, I think, clearly enough in the writings of the
classical economists generally, but I will focus on two examples.
The first is from a letter written by Ricardo to Malthus on October
9, 1820. Interestingly, the letter is largely a discussion of the
inadequacies of Say's Letters to Mr. Malthus in which Say
attempted to defend his law of markets. In the follow excerpt, the
last sentence is the one that really matters.

"I quite agree with you in thinking that M Say's letters to you are
not very well done. He does not even defend his own doctrine with
peculiar ability, and on some other of the intrinsic questions, on
which he touches, he appears to me to be very unsatisfactory.... I
think more may be said in defence of his doctrine of services - they
are I think the regulators of value, and if he would give up rent, he
and I should not differ very materially on that subject.... With
abundance of capital and a low price of labour there cannot fail to
be some employments which would yield good profits, and if a
superior genius had the arrangement of the capital of the country
under his controul [sic] he might, in a very little time, make trade
as active as ever. Men err in their productions, there is no
deficiency of demand." (Works and Correspondence of David
Ricardo, Volume VIII, Letters 1819-1821, pp 276-77)

"Men err in their productions, there is no deficiency of demand."
This, in a single sentence, sums up the entire issue which lay
behind the law of markets. Recessions were due to maladjustment
in the structure of supply relative to the structure of demand; they
were never due to there being too little demand for output in
general.

The second example is from John Stuart Mill's chapter on the law
of markets in his Principles of Political Economy. This passage not
only makes the central issue of what was at stake crystal clear,
but also states that Keynesian-type economic theories are
guaranteed to make it impossible to understand how an economy
actually works. This is from the most authoritative economics
textbook of the latter half of the nineteenth century, a text used
well into the twentieth. Mill wrote in summing up his discussion on
the law of markets:

"The point is fundamental; any difference of opinion in it involves
radically different conceptions of Political Economy, especially in
its practical aspect. On the one view, we have only to consider how
a sufficient production may be combined with the best possible
distribution; but, on the other, there is a third thing to be
considered - how a market can be created for produce, or how
production can be limited to the capabilities of the market."  (John
Stuart Mill, Principles of Political Economy, Book III, Chapter XIV,
Section 4 - p 562 of the Ashley edition)

In the continuation of this passage, Mill highlights what he believes
to be the consequences for economic theory if one adds demand
deficiency to its concerns:

"A theory so essentially self-contradictory cannot intrude itself
without carrying confusion into the very heart of the subject, and
making it impossible even to conceive with any distinctness many
of the more complicated economical workings of society. This error
has been, I conceive, fatal to the systems, as systems, of the
three distinguished economists to whom I before referred, Malthus,
Chalmers, and Sismondi; all of whom have admirably conceived
and explained several of the elementary theorems of political
economy, but this fatal misconception has spread itself like a veil
between them and the more difficult portions of the subject, not
suffering one ray of light to penetrate. Still more is this same
confused idea constantly crossing and bewildering the
speculations of minds inferior to theirs."  (ibid.)

The chapter is, in Mill's own words, an attempt to refute the belief
that "there may be a general over-production of wealth; a supply of
commodities in the aggregate surpassing the demand" (ibid. pp
556-57). Prior to the publication of the General Theory, this
conclusion was almost universally accepted. Keynes, in quoting
from this very chapter on page 18, took the most radical step,
fundamentally changing the nature of the theory of the cycle, and
turning what had until then been seen as utterly fallacious into the
mainstream. The judgement that Mill makes on Malthus, Chalmers
and Sismondi is a judgement, I suspect, he would make on
macroeconomic theory today to the extent that it continues to
depend on demand deficiency to explain the nature and causes of
recession.

Steven Kates