From:
[log in to unmask] (Patrick Gunning)
Date:

I think that I understand why you ask the question, Ross. My
ponderings lead me along two not entirely independent paths.
I would identify two ways in which the concept of the economic
agent might be defined: (1) the agent as a economic chooser, i.e.,
as an actor under conditions that we take as economic (I would use
the following conditions: private property rights, specialization,
use of money, and possibly free enterprise); and (2) the agent as
a function-performer and therefore as a servant of the consumer
role. If one is interested in (1), it seems to me that she should
begin with writings on self-interested choices using money
calculation. I would guess that many ancient texts have statements
about people who fit this image. If one is interested in (2), it
seems to me that the beginning point of the literature is the
development of invisible hand type explanations, such as those
provided by Adam Smith. In these explanations, individuals are
conceived as agents of consumers in addition to their being income
maximizers.

Pat Gunning, American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates