From:
[log in to unmask] (michael perelman)
Date:

Greg Clark gave my book, The Invention of Capitalism, a good-natured,
but dismissive review.  I expected a more substantive analysis from
Greg.  Perhaps he thought that merely associating me with Karl Marx or
Chico Marx would be enough for some people to write off my book.

Greg offered a slightly more real critique, rebuking me for criticizing
the classical political economists for not mentioning the Game Laws.
Taken out of context, my position might seem rather silly.  After all,
at first glance the Game Laws might seem to be an obscure concern,
hardly worth any notice today.  At the time, however, the Game Laws were
having a profound effect on society.

The Game Laws prohibited the vast majority of farmers from disturbing
animals that ate their grain.  For example, in the 1840s, game destroyed
an estimated quarter of the crops of Buckinghamshire (Horn 1981, 179).
Groups of wealthy hunters were permitted to chase their prey across
farmers' fields on horseback.  One fox hunt trampled crops on a 28 mile
run.  You can only imagine the immense destruction of crops.

The Game Laws had a human dimension as well.  In Wiltshire alone, more
than 1,300 persons were imprisoned under the Game Laws in the fifteen
years after the battle at Waterloo in 1815, more than twice the number
for the previous fifty years (Munsche 1980, 138).  Between 1820 and
1827, nearly a quarter of those committed to prison were convicted of
poaching (Shaw 1966, 155).  The number of convictions was undoubtedly
understated because the Justices of the Peace who heard cases frequently
neglected to record them (Hay 1975, 192).

Poaching was taken so seriously that it was, on occasion, even equated
with treason.  The British courts enforced these laws with shocking
ferocity.  Several poachers were actually executed under the famous
Black Acts (Thompson 1975, 68).

The Game Laws also caught up innocent people.  Wealthy landowners
installed lethal spring guns and man traps to protect their game from
poachers.  Many of the victims of these instruments were children just
playing outside.

The strongest defense of the Game Laws was that they gave the idle
gentry a reason to take interest in their lands.  Little account was
taken of the immense suffering that they entailed or of the

The Game Laws created far more damage than the Corn Laws, which agitated
so many political economists of the time.  Why, then, did the classical
political economists spill so much ink regarding the Corn Laws and let
the Game Laws pass unnoticed?  For Clark, my questioning this lack of
interest on the part of the classical political economists seemed
frivolous, or worse, an indication that I was indulging in some sort of
Roswellian conspiracy theory.

In truth, no conspiracy was necessary.  While the Corn Laws seemed to
threaten profits, the Game Laws augmented them.  By depriving poor
people of a traditional food source and requiring them to purchase
substitutes on the market, the Game Laws forced people into labor
markets, holding down wages.

Perhaps, I am being uncharitable in attributing class interests to the
political economists.  In fact, I found a curious pattern among their
writings.  While in their theoretical works they often praised the
natural efficiencies of markets, in their letters and diaries and less
theoretical works, they took a keen interest in finding ways to
manipulate conditions in the countryside.  Sometimes, such interests
even crept into their theoretical work, as in the case of the first
edition of Ricardo, the great opponent of the Corn Laws, who worried
that the price of food was too low in Ireland because Irish people could
get by too easily without engaging in wage labor.  The offending passage
was removed from the second edition.

Over the years, I have followed Greg's writings although I do not always
agree with his conclusions.  Generally, Greg stoutly defends markets as
being beneficial.  I would expect him to find my book uncongenial.
Rather than to claim that I have been wronged in some way, I believe
that the best course is to leave the verdict up to other readers.