From:
[log in to unmask] (Patrick Gunning)
Date:
Barbara, I went searching on the web about two years ago for this subject and updated my
search about 7 months ago.  You can find some info at a web page I made for my students,
although it is undoubtedly partly out of date.

http://www.gunning.cafeprogressive.com/omancoll/islalink.htm

Just a few brief remarks. The term is not authoritatively defined anywhere; so you will
probably be treated to a variety of unrelated ideas.

Since the Koran is subject to a variety of interpretations, the question of what kind of
economic activity is allowable -- and therefore the assumptions that would have to be made
in building a model of economic interaction under the conditions of Islam (which is what
usually what "Islamic economists" write about) -- is subject to debate. This includes, by
the way, whether interest income is allowable.

Pat Gunning