From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:

From:                   "Conley, John" <[log in to unmask]> To:
Subject: HES:           Economics Bulletin, Call for papers
Date sent:              Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:01:20 -0500

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to announce the launch of the Economics Bulletin and to
invite you to contribute your work to this new and innovative
journal. The Economics Bulletin is a peer-reviewed journal archived
at the University of Illinois that is intended to be a direct
competitor to Economics Letters. The major difference is that EB is
entirely electronic, from submission and refereeing to publication.
All work that appears in EB will be available free of charge and
without subscription. Our primary mission is to publish refereed
Notes, Comments and Preliminary Results with a view to keeping the
profession informed about ongoing research programs.  We also publish
non-refereed research announcements, conference announcements and
letters to the editor.   You can access this new journal and make
submissions at the following URL:

www.economicsbulletin.com.

Our entire editorial board (listed below) joins me in hoping that you
will consider submitting your work to EB, joining our automatic email
notification service and registering in our directory of research
economists.

The Economic Bulletin offers authors and the profession at large a
number of significant advantages. (See
www.economicsbulletin.com/mission.asp for a more complete
discussion.)

1. Speed: Our submission and review process is completely electronic.
If a paper is accepted, it is published immediately. Our objective is
to provide authors with a decision within eight weeks.

2. Open access:  The Economics Bulletin is based on an open access
model. All of EB's contents will be made available free of charge on
a permanent basis.  The University of Illinois Library has guaranteed
that it will archive and make publicly available all articles
published in EB, even if it should cease publication.

3. Wide distribution: In addition to the open access we offer, EB has
an email notification service that allows users to sign up for
automatic alerts of work published in their areas of interest.  All
content published in EB is also automatically fed into the IDEAS
bibliographic database.

4. Copyrights: Authors retain full rights to use all work they
publish in EB in any way they see fit.

5. Subscription costs: One of EB's purposes is to demonstrate that
the profession can produce a journal without the help of commercial
publishers and the high subscription prices they charge (For example,
Elsevier charges $1,592 for Economics Letters).  We are part of a
larger effort to move control of scholarly communication back into
the hands of the researchers who produce it. See Ted Bergstrom's page
for more information on problem of high journal subscription prices:

www.econ.ucsb.edu/~tedb

I hope you will join me in supporting the Economics Bulletin. Please
feel free to forward this message to anyone you believe might be
interested.

Statement of Purpose:

The mission of the Economics Bulletin is to foster free and extremely
rapid scientific communication across the entire community of
research economists. In order to meet this goal, we will rely on the
technology of the World Wide Web.  EB will publish original notes,
comments, and preliminary results.  We are especially interested in
publishing manuscripts that keep the profession informed about
ongoing research programs.  Submissions in these categories will be
refereed and our objective is to make a decision within eight week.
Accepted papers are published immediately.  It is expected that in
many cases, manuscripts published in these categories will form the
foundation for more complete works subsequently to be submitted to
other journals.  In all cases, submissions are restricted to seven
printed pages exclusive of references, appendices, tables and
figures, and must be in PDF format. EB will also publish letters to
the editor, announcements of conferences and research announcements.

Editor:
John Conley, University of Illinois

Founding Editor:
Myrna Wooders, University of Warwick

Advisory Editors:
Robert Aumann, Hebrew University
James Heckman, University of Chicago
Leonid Hurwicz, University of Minnesota
Hervé Moulin, Rice University
Stanley Reiter, Northwestern University
Paul Romer, Stanford University
Eric van Damme, Tilburg University

Associate Editors:   James Andreoni, University of Wisconsin
Theodore Bergstrom, University of California at Santa Barbara
Francis Bloch, GREQAM, University of Aix Marseille Michele Boldrin,
University of Minnesota   Eric Bond, Pennsylvania State University
Josef Brada, Arizona State University   Carlo Carraro, University of
Venice   Menzie Chinn, University of California, Santa Cruz   Timothy
Conley, Northwestern University Andrew Daughety, Vanderbilt
University   Jon Davis, University of Wisconsin Raymond Deneckere,
University of Wisconsin Michael B. Devereux, University of British
Columbia   Michael P. Devereux, University of Warwick   Bhaskar
Dutta, Indian Statistical Institute Zvi Eckstein, Tel Aviv University
and Boston University   Sebastian Edwards, University of California,
Los Angeles   Roger Farmer, University of California, Los Angeles
Firouz Gahvari, University of Illinois   Gary Gorton, University of
Pennsylvania   Simon Grant, Australian National University D. Wade
Hands, University of Puget Sound   Eric Hanushek, Hoover Institute
Hugo Hopenhayn, University of Rochester and Universidad Torcuato Di
Tella Ken Judd, Hoover Institute  Charles Kahn, University of
Illinois Atsushi Kajii, University of Tsukuba Peter Kennedy, Simon
Fraser University   Charles Kolstad, University of California at
Santa Barbara   Hideo Konishi, Boston College Chung-Ming Kuan,
Academia Sinica   Cuong Le Van, CNRS/University of Paris I   Patrick
Legros, ECARES David Levine, University of California, Los Angeles
David Li, University of Hong Kong   William Maloney, World Bank
Robert Margo, Vanderbilt University   Joseph McCahery, Tilburg
University   Paulo Klinger Monteiro, EPGE-FGV, Brazil Dilip
Mookherjee, Boston University Kevin Murphy, University of Southern
California   Barry O'Neill, Stanford University Kevin O'Rourke,
Trinity College, University of Dublin   Keijiro Otsuka, Tokyo
Metropolitan University   Adrian Pagan, Australian National
University and Oxford University Frank H. Page, Jr., University of
Alabama   Thomas Palfrey, California Institute of Technology   Neil
Pearson, University of Illinois Charles Phelps, University of
Rochester   Robert Porter, Northwestern University  Debraj Ray, New
York University Raymond G. Riezman, University of Iowa Arthur Robson,
University of Western Ontario   Stuart Rosenthal, Syracuse University
John Rust, Yale University   Murat Sertel, Bogaziçi University
Aloysius Siow, University of Toronto William Strange, University of
British Columbia   Mark Taylor, University of Warwick   Thijs ten
Raa, Tilburg University Henry Tulkens, CORE  Stephen Turnovsky,
University of Washington   Ping Wang, Vanderbilt University Roy
Weintraub, Duke University   John Whalley, University of Warwick
Michelle J. White, University of California at San Diego and RAND
John Wooders, University of Arizona

We apologize if you receive more than one copy of this announcement.

E. Roy Weintraub