Date:
Dan Bromley wrote: "Markets are not ends but instruments.  For some purposes
they can be agreeable instruments.  For other purposes they can be most
disagreeable."  I would welcome further explantion from you, Dan: what
purposes?  "Agreeable"?....

On the other hand, Governments too can be viewed as instruments....but the
interesting question is: of which set of interests in what countries and at
what times?

I have just returned from my first visit to a Central Asian country, and Dan's
use of the phrase "those whose current social and economic advantage is
reinforced and validated by the existing structure of institutional
arrangements" is certainly redolent of this and perhaps all other countries in
the former Soviet Union and even perhaps of other so-called "developing"
countries.  In "developed" countries, on the other hand, government seems to
function at least a little more effectively in the medium term as a means of
moderating between various groups of interests (pure capitalists, wage-earners
who are also capitalists, "mere" wage earners (i.e. wage earners without
capital), those who are unemployed and perhaps unemployable, those needing
capital for various purposes, those who would like to encourage investment in
relatively "safe" areas of the economy versus those who would like to encourage
investment in more "risky" areas of the economy, those interested in the
environment, those intersted in the development of other countries, et al).

Can any HES participants from Comparative Institutional Analysis or other areas
help me to understand whether I am completely off the track in the previous
paragraph?

prabhu guptara