Date:

At the HES 1998 Conference in Montreal Joerg Bibow presented a paper on
this subject: "Central Bank Independence from a Historical Perspective: An
Analysis of the Monetary Thought of Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman".  I
remember him saying that he started research on this subject because he was
struck by the fact that neither Friedman nor Keynes would have supported
central bank independence which was the cornerstone for the construction of
the ECB.  I have not seen the paper published yet, it might be under review
somewhere.

Thomas Moser