From:
[log in to unmask] (Dan Hammond)
Date:

[The following letter is a response from Dan Hammond (President, HES) and
John Davis (Past-President, HES) -- on behalf of the Society's executive
committee -- to the HOPE 2001 letter circulated earlier on the list. --
RBE]

July 27, 2001

Signers of HOPE conference letter (June 7, 2001)
c/o Professor E. Roy Weintraub
Department of Economics
Duke University
Box 90097
Durham, NC 27708-0097

Dear Colleagues:

We want to thank you for your letter of June 7 apprising us of discussions
at the annual HOPE conference and making suggestions of initiatives to
enhance the future history of economics. We received the letter in the same
spirit in which it was written, with an interest in invigorating and
expanding opportunities in history of economics.

The HES Executive Committee discussed the ideas in your letter over two
luncheon meetings June 30 and July 1 at the Wake Forest HES conference. The
first decision we made with regard to the letter was to distribute it to
HES members at the business meeting. We did so, stating that our purpose
was to inform them that we were using the letter as a basis for discussions
within the committee and to stimulate reflection and discussion among HES
members. We also asked Ross Emmett to distribute the letter over the HES
e-mail list. Ross posted the letter on July 5.

After consideration of matters raised in your letter the Executive
Committee voted to form three committees, and to ask each to report back to
us with proposals for consideration at our next meeting in January 2002.
The three committees and their charges are as follows:

Committee 1
Composition: Five persons, including individuals from HES Executive Committee, HES
membership, HOPE conferees, and other interested parties.
Charge: Bring proposals to enhance the field of history of economics to the HES Executive
Committee for discussion at the January 2002 Executive Committee meeting

Committee 2
Composition: HES President-elect, President, and two immediate Past-presidents
Charge: Study the structure of the History of Economics Society annual meetings, and
suggest changes that will enhance history of economics and the HES. Distribute report to
the Executive Committee for discussion at the January 2002 meeting.

Committee 3
Composition: Four members from the HES Executive Committee
Charge: Develop proposals for joint activities between the History of Economics Society
and the European Society for the History of Economic Thought. Distribute proposals to HES
Executive Committee for discussion at the January 2002 meeting.

We are now in the process of forming these committees.

On behalf of the HES Executive Committee we want to thank you for
initiating what we expect will be a period of growth and enrichment of
history of economics.

Sincerely,

(original signed)
J. Daniel Hammond
President, History of Economics Society

(original signed)
John B. Davis
Past-president, History of Economics Society