From:
[log in to unmask] (Prabhu Guptara)
Date:
Tue Apr 4 09:31:31 2006
Richard Sennett states in his highly stimulating new book (The Culture
of the New Capitalism, published this year by Yale University Press),
"The operation of the business cycle was not understood statistically
until the end of the nineteenth century" (p. 16).

This statement triggers several questions in my mind:

First, very simply, whose work is he referring to?  I was under the
impression that business cycles as we know them today were first
identified and analyzed by Arthur Burns and Wesley Mitchell in their
1946 book, Measuring Business Cycles...

Second, whoever did the first identification, and whenever that was,
when exactly did business cycles first start affecting industrial
society?

Third, economic fluctuations in pre-industrial societies presumably had
a largely climatic or monetary basis...Did this really change with
industrialisation?!
Did climate really stop affecting the business cycle?
Which was the first country to demonstrate deliberate and intelligent
control of consumer price inflation and money supply? (not that anyone
has this perfect even now of course).
Is it the case that, in the case of industrialised society, we simply
added to climate and finance a third factor: the time-lag between demand
and supply and the fact that any chain of intermediaries tends to
amplify actual demand into much greater apparent demand, leading to the
over-provision of manufacturing facilities, leading to over-supply.....

Naturally, the nature of business cycles has changed over time since the
period of late industrialisation: for example, before World War II,
prices typically fell during a recession; since the fifties, prices have
risen during downturns, though usually more slowly than during booms.
What was responsible for that change between the pre- and post-WWII
period?

What is the relationship between the stage of development of capitalism
and the nature of the business cycle most evident in it?

Business cycles, or booms and busts, seem to be more typical of
Anglo-American economies than of European Continental economies.  If
this is so, why?

Why is it that interest rates, for example, appear to be lower and more
stable in Continental European economies than in Anglo-American
economies?  The same is the case with growth rates....

In learning to control consumer price inflation, we seem to have lost
the ability to control asset-price inflation.  If so, why?  Who has
looked into the question of the role that is played by "out-of-control
asset-price inflation" in the economy?

Have we simply changed the level at which the business cycle functions?:
from the time when the economy was dominated by real
agricultural goods and services,
to the time when the economy was dominated by manufactured
goods, not of a sort that aided the real economy but of a sort that
generated a life of their own (everybody needs food, do we really
need computers?), then to the time when the economy was dominated
by paper money transactions - even more removed from that real economy,
and finally to the present, where the economy is dominated by
the leveraging of digits in cyberspace ("completely removed from
reality")?

I exaggerate, but perhaps you see what I mean...

Prabhu Guptara