Date:
Tue Jun 20 09:36:50 2006
I agree with Mason.  I mentioned Mumford et. al. is a call for balance.  I think that
there is a tendency to give too much credit to urban contributions.  Society tends to
subsidize urban pleasures -- schools, libraries, theater .

Not surprisingly, some of the best and the brightest leave for the cities, creating a
brain drain.  I understand why there are economies of scale for such institutions.

I also wonder how pleasant New York City would be if it had to dispose of its own waste
products locally.

I also appreciate Jane Jacobs' work.  Cities do have obvious attractions.  The close
contact with other like-minded people can provide scintillating relationships and can
produce obvious technological advances.

Like Mason, I just think that we could use some more balance.

Michael Perelman