From:
[log in to unmask] (James Ahiakpor)
Date:
Wed Jun 21 20:42:47 2006
Michael Perelman's post reminds me of a point that I've been meaning to
make regarding the relevance of income inequality to the well-being of
the poor.  I held it back from my response to Warren's last post in
which he queried whether inequality didn't matter.

My point is that analysts and governments should worry about absolute
poverty rather than inequality of incomes.  As I argued yesterday, "what
we call income distribution is simply another name for the relative
contributions of different members of a society to total income
production.  There is no one out there handing different individuals or
groups their shares of 'national income'."  Thus, inequality may well
increase with economic growth, but the poor would get better fed,
clothed, housed, educated, and also purchase higher quality health,
entertainment, and other services.

The data I cited yesterday has Sri Lanka showing the best index of
equality (34.4); better than that of the US (40.8).  But it is a
no-brainer to ask the poor in which of these countries they would rather
live.  Indeed, several former Soviet Bloc countries have better indexes
of equality than the US, UK, or Canada.  But where would the poor in
those countries rather leave if they had the freedom to move around?

It is natural for people who have less to be envious or jealous of those
who have more.  And that's why Adam Smith included in his list of the
legitimate functions of government, in order to promote economic growth,
the protection of private property.  He writes:

"It is only under the shelter of the civil magistrate that the owner of
the valuable property, which is acquired by the labour of many years, or
perhaps of successive generations, can sleep a single night in security.
  He is at all times surrounded by unknown enemies, whom, though he
never provoked, he can never appease, and from whose injustice he can be
protected only by the powerful arm of the civil magistrate continually
held up to chastise it."

Thus, I think egalitarians or redistributionists (not meant as
"name-calling," but simply identifying a category of analysts!) play too
much on emotions with their concerns over inequality.  They should
rather think of ways to remove the obstacles in the way of the poor from
earning higher incomes, without hindering the income-earning
capabilities of the more industrious.  Even David Ricardo and Thomas
Malthus were in agreement on this point when addressing the Poor Laws of
England.  Ricardo acutely observed that these laws were not going to
make the poor rich, but make the rich poor.

I'd like to recommend to Michael Perelman that he spend some time
pondering the absolute vs relative poverty issue in his forthcoming
book, parts of which he has shared with us.

James Ahiakpor