From:
[log in to unmask] (Jan-Frederik Abbeloos)
Date:
Mon Jun 26 10:05:49 2006

Citing Doug Mackenzie <[log in to unmask]>:
"The problem you speak of would therefore depend upon not only the objective
facts (the actual measured inquality) but also the subjective interpretion of
these acts (the prevailing ideological mindset) which determines whether or not
inquality is acceptable. To say that inequality generates resentment and stress
assumes a prevailing ideology or mindset whereby the perceived source of the
existing inequality is illegitimate."

I believe this is an interesting remark. Sometimes researchers tend to
'describe' social injustices or social advances in order to 'prove' that, let's
say capitalism, is a good or a bad thing. Off course this is a case of
intellectual 'fraude', where the explanans gets confused with the explanandum.
Pointing out the consequences does not prove the cause, you simply assume it to
be so. Saying that inequality changes over time is one thing, linking this to
processes of economic growth (see Kuznets) or exploitation (from Marx to
Pr�bisch) is a whole other story. In any case, it is a question that deserves
our attention, along with the study of the evolution of poverty. Not because the
researcher should 'determine that inequality is unacceptable', but because
inequality in a society draws lines of conflict that can become potentially very
explosive (a point on which the reality of inequality poses itself to the
researchers, whether they deem inequality to be unacceptable or not). History,
through different revolutions as Doug Mackenzie points out, has already made
this clear. The questions then are:
1. What causes income inequality?
2. How much inequality can a given society in time and space handle?
3. Are the historical examples of 'rioting inequality' really "unique historical
episodes"? Or could inequality still lead to the revolting of the have-nots?
Looking at the situations in heavily unequal settings as the world cities of Rio
de Janeiro or Sao Paulo, I would not dare to say that we should presume history
to be over in this matter.

Jan-Frederik Abbeloos