From:
[log in to unmask] (Nicholas J. Theocarakis)
Date:
Fri Jul 7 16:18:00 2006
The terms "agents" and "factors" of production were used concurrently for
some time.

In the original Palgrave (1894), there is an entry written by Edgeworth for
"Agents of Production". There he writes. "To the second factor is sometimes
applied the term _land_".  This entry is very useful in tracing change from
"agents" to "factors". FYE quotes from Marshall's _Principles_: "it is
perhaps best to say that there three factors of production".  Before that he
quotes Mill's  "labour and natural agents".
Interestingly in the same article FYE  translates from the German
Boehm-Bawerk _Kapital and Kapitalzins_ pt ii p 83 "all production is the
result of two and only two elementary agents of production, nature and
labour". The translation by William A. Smart (Macmillan 1891) of the same
text in BB's _The Positive Theory of Capital_ is the following "Thus all
that we get in production is the result of two, and only two, elementary
productive powers- Nature and Labour".

Elsewhere in the same book Smart translates:

"When we are told that capital assists in the production of wealth, and then
again that it assists in the obtaining of wealth for its owner, we are apt
to jump to the conclusion that the two phenomena are intimately and
essentially connected, and that the one is the immediate result of the
other-that capital can bring wealth to its owner because capital assists in
the production of wealth. As a fact, Political Economy has taken up this
idea only too readily and too completely. Captivated by the deceptive
symmetry that exists between the three great factors of production-Nature,
Labour, Capital-and the three great blanches of income-Rent, Wage, and
Interest-the science, from Say's day till the present, has taught that these
three branches of income are nothing else than the payment for the three
factors of production, and that Interest in particular is nothing else than
the compensation which capital receives for its productive services when the
product is divided out among society. Propounded by various interest
theories in various forms this idea has found its most concise and, at the
same time, its most naive expression, in the well-known "Productivity
theories"-those theories which explain interest directly as the natural
fruit of a productive power peculiar to and resident in capital
In like manner, in dealing with the particular markets of the productive
factors or agents, we shall find that it is not by considering the special
services that land renders to production, and the special conditions under
which it renders them, or by considering the same problem with reference to
labour or capital, that we shall worm out the secrets of the process of
"distribution," but by considering that aspect under which all of these, and
any other factors of production there may be, resemble each other."