From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Tue Jul 11 13:55:08 2006
Michael Perelman asked:
 >> Samuelson ended his Nobel lecture citing Davenport: "There is no reason why
 >> theoretical economics should be a monopoly of the reactionaries." Where did
 >> Davenport write/say this?

Warren Samuels replied:

 > The quote is from his ECONOMICS OF ENTERPRISE, at or near the end.

I believe that no such quote, in fact, exists. At the moment, there is
no way for me to tell whether Samuelson actually said this. I am on the
road and do not have access to the Samuelson lecture. I also do not know
whether the Davenport citation was taken out of context. In any case,
the text to which the quote appears to refer is at the end of
Davenport's Preface to Economics of Enterprise. The last paragraph reads
as follows:

"It is, therefore, only upon the applications of economic science to the
problems of practical progress that [I am to be] taken as a radical
economist or as qualified to apply for membership among those thinkers
who are facing toward a new day � the disturbers at large of the peace.
Had it been within the reach of [my] power, this book should have set
forth the economics of a new political and social program; as it is, the
work expresses only an aspiration. Chief, however, among the monopolies
that [I] would condemn is the monopoly, so far enjoyed by the
reactionaries, of all authoritative economic doctrine."

The Samuelson quote was presumably referring to the last sentence.

Judging from the whole preface, Davenport was writing about some
economists of his day, "the moderns," who sought to destroy what he
regarded as the "old economics" of "the masters." This economics, he
proclaimed, was flawed but not without merit. He wrote: "That our
predecessors saw imperfectly was unavoidable; but that they did not see
at all is incredible." He regarded "the moderns" as "reactionaries" and
believed that they were wrong to think that they had all the right
answers while their predecessors had none.

I have not tried seriously to find out who Davenport was referring to.
His main adversaries were (1) those who supported wholism, which is the
antithesis of the entrepreneur point of view, and (2) those who
justified the existing distribution of wealth by using marginal
productivity theory.

Pat Gunning