From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
Sun Jul 16 22:35:48 2006
Re Tulupenko's question whether the Transcentalist movement contributed
anything to economics, assuming a reasonably narrow definition of this
movement and a reasonably broad definition of economics, I looked into my
old source, Joseph Dorfman's Economic Mind in American Civilization, and
did not find much. Among many other utopian movements and notions in the
United States then there (in volume ii, chapters xxiv and xxv) are the
Fourierists, Brisbane and Greeley, both very interesting for their social
and political action, but hardly contributors to economics (as theory or
analysis). The only others worth noting would be Orestes Brownson (while he
was still a Unitarian) and Greeley's city editor, Charles A. Dana,
interesting for the same reasons, not for their economics. It looks as if
Ripley alone made any notable contribution to economic thought.

John Womack