From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Thu Jul 20 08:34:49 2006
It seems to me that the question of whether one can identify economic
fallacies depends on a deeper issue that was not satisfactorily resolved
in "mainstream economics," and certainly not resolved in the "History of
Economic Thought." The issue is what economics is.

I think that the reason for this eclectic set of responses and
counter-responses to the original question about economic fallacies is
diversity in the way the HESers define economics. Indeed, many HESers
are not interested in defining economics at all. One who does not wish
to define economics could scarcely have anything intelligent to say
about what constitutes an economic fallacy.  He would presumably only
criticize those who DID have something to say because they are not like him.

Of course I have made this point about the definition of economics
before on this list and have called for a discussion of the subject, but
to no avail.

Pat Gunning