From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
Wed Mar 26 11:41:58 2008
Please forgive me for interrupting the very interesting exchanges now
underway, but I need to ask a question now about the terms GNP and
GDP. Searching JSTOR, I find the first mention of "gross national
product" in 1923, by Commons, referring to work then at the NBER
(where he was a director), and the first mention of "gross domestic
product" in 1951, by J. Stafford of the Royal Statistical Society.
Can anyone send me titles of articles or books about the origin and
history of these terms, and why in the USA, as I have read, GNP gave
way to GDP in 1992?

John Womack