From:
[log in to unmask] (Deirdre McCloskey)
Date:
Wed Apr 2 17:45:57 2008
Dears,

Well, as Roy says, we are off to the races.  My 2-cents worth is to note
that real creativity comes from real conversation.  (One can make the
same point about economic creativity itself, and argue that it's the
language-using of humans---not "information"---that makes for new ideas
in talk.).  That's why I couldn't get much out of Randall Collins'
astounding opus on philosophical schools.  It seemed like a massive
diagram of "influence," a subway map of students, which is not I think
such a grand idea in intellectual sociology, especially  for really
creative conversations, as against epigones gathered at the foot of The
Master.

Look at the Scottish Enlightenment.  Or Malthus-Ricardo correspondence.
Or Cambridge (Eng.) in the 1930s.  Or Chicago in the 1970s.

Regards,

Deirdre McCloskey