From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Médaille)
Date:
Mon Jun 16 09:15:48 2008
Alan G Isaac wrote:
>"Cogito, ergo sum."

The problem I have with the cogito is that it
assumes what it sets out to prove. How do we know
that the "I" is doing the thinking? Personally,
if I were to try to set forth a "proof" of my
existence (which I never actually do), I would
far rather say, "I take a crap, therefore I am";
I'm pretty sure that's me on the pot. Why elevate
the purely mental over the extra-mental? Why
posit a disembodied mind as the arbiter of
existence? There seems to be no obvious reason to
do this. Besides, isn't it just as accurate to
say, cogito cogitare, ergo cogito esse...cogito,
"I think that I think, therefore I think that I
am...I think." I prefer Sum, ergo cogito,
existence over thoughts about existence. In any
case, the cogito introduces an unnecessary
dualism into the objects of our experience, a
rift between the mental and empirical worlds.
What, exactly, does that accomplish, except to
cast doubt on both worlds? Philosophy has been in
this rather unnecessary struggle between the real
and the ideal ever since Descartes.

>Experience is temporal.
>
>Humans perceive causal relationships between objects of experience.

Indeed. And in that, there is not a real division
between the mental and extra-mental, between
thought and experience. Experience is mental as
well as physical; physical as well as mental;
there are not two separable realms, except for
analytical purposes. In these cases, we practice
"abstraction without precision" as Aquinas says.
"Precision" here means "to cut away from." That
is, we can talk about the mental or the
extra-mental, but simply as a convenience; we
can't really abstract the one from the other, we
can't take the conversation so seriously so that
they become radically separate categories.

>etc.
>
>We may not be able to produce a Misean argument by treading
>this path, but we cannot simply forget about Kant and Descartes.

Yes, Descartes leads directly to Kant, and the
absolute separation of the ontological and
deontological orders, a schema which has plagued
philosophy in general and economics in
particular. I don't think it can be done; I'm
pretty sure it ought not to be done. The search
for a value-free economics is like the search for
value-free money: worth nothing even if you find it.

John C. M?daille