Date:
Moss Comments on Steven Kates:

In his recent post (HES Digest 992) Professor Steve Kates commented about
an issue that is larger than "monetarism" and that is "the role of central
banks in managing economies and the instability they have been creating in
their anti-inflation crusades."

I think this an important topic, maybe from an historical period the real
question for future historians of economics.  Surely this is not the
question that Professor Brad Bateman originally asked.  I was hoping Brad
could comment on Steve's suggestion here and why Brad does not consider
this to be the real question for analysis.

Finally, if I my add a wrinkle here.  Some of the early Keynesians ("those
who carried the cross") somehow came to the peculiar conclusion that in a
liquidity crisis even Central Banks could not "push on a string" and
favored fiscal policy over monetary policy.  Was this loss of faith in
Central Banking just a passing fad or is it in some way essential to the
early Keynesian policy agenda?  Friedman and Schwartz were awarded a Nobel
Prize for reestablishing (at least to my satistisfaction) the important
connection between Central Bank policy and economic stability.  Perhaps
this is monetarism's finest hour?

L. Moss