From:
[log in to unmask] (Brad De Long)
Date:

>As usual,our discussions of the origins of economics is
>Eurocentric,ignoring the contributions of other civilizatons to the
>development of economic science (of course,I  also have a hard time
>viewing the Greeks as western while knowing that the works of Plato
>and Xenophon devote so much to the likes of Cyrous of Persia, rather
>than to the people of  Western Europe).

Ummm... I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Kurush the
Achaemenid is part of *western* civilization.

We get a lot from the Achaemenid Empire: the idea that careers
should be open to talents without distinction of ethnic origin, the
idea that *all* citizens are equally subject to the law, and the idea
that everyone has a moral duty to aid the Right and Justice in its
struggle with Wrong and Injustice.

:-)
Brad DeLong