From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Evans)
Date:
Dear All

Assuming that Jim Thomas means the Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of
England, then the claim that there are no women economists on the Panel is
incorrect. The current committee includes Kate Barker, the chief economist
for the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). Before that it included
DeAnne Julius, who was chief economist at British Airways I think.

I don't dispute the wider point, though, and note that they have not, so
far as I know, been able to cope with having two women on the committee at
the same time!

As a complete aside, the problems with MPC membership raised in the media
when it was first formed related not to gender (what a surprise!) but to
other forms of representativeness. As I recall, newspapers were
particularly concerned that DeAnne Julius was the only one with a clear
background in industry (as opposed to academic economics and City
institutions) and also with the fact that none of them had mortgages. One
paper even printed photos of their houses in order to show how far removed
the committee was from the lives of 'ordinary' people whose decisions it
was attempting to influence.

Best wishes

Robert Evans
Cardiff University School of Social Sciences