Date:

Michael,

I don't know to what degree Friedman is in conflict with his own principles
in making his statement of support for Greenspan. The statement certainly
appears to be in conflict with his earlier, well-known work, but I wonder
what Friedman's response has been to the end of the stability of the
velocity of money during the last 2 decades. If I remember correctly, as
late as the mid 1980s, Friedman was still arguing publicly that his
advocacy of monetary aggregate targeting depended completely on the ability
of economists and central bankers to accurately estimate some measure of
velocity (or its growth trend). Since this condition never did occur
(velocity's accurate estimation), I wonder if Friedman has ever publicly
responded to how this affects his monetary policy suggestions. In the
"millenial issue" of the  Journal of Economic Perspectives (winter 2000),
Brad DeLong has a nice survey piece in which he tries to extract the long
lasting influence of monetarism (The Triumph of Monetarism?), in which he
says that, "There are few live remnants of the program to control the
sources of monetary instability identified by Old Chicago monetarism."
(p.90). But Delong never addresses the issue of what if anything Friedman
ever said publicly about the collapse of this program for monetary
aggregate targeting.

Does anyone know if Friedman has publicly responded? That's what we need to
know, Michael, to know wheteher Friedman has contravened his principles in
complimenting Greenspan.

Bradley Bateman