From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross Emmett)
Date:

[Here is Dan Hammond's announcement of the Best Article award at the
History of Economics Society meeting, July 1, 2001. -- RBE]

Award for Best Article in the History of Economics, 2001

The second award that I have the pleasure of presenting this evening is the
Award for the Best Article in the History of Economics. Professor Samuel
Hollander receives this year's award for his article, "Sraffa and the
Interpretation of Ricardo: The Marxian Dimension." His article was
published in History of Political Economy, volume 32, issue 2, summer 2000.

Prof. Hollander sent his regrets that he is unable to be with us this
weekend. He is at Ben Gurion University in Israel this summer, and had a
prior commitment to travel to the US later this month.  Making two trips
between Israel and the US inside of four weeks was not practical.

The best article award committee received 27 different nominations. They
wrote in their report:

The final four were all articles of outstanding quality, each making an
important contribution to our field. However, one article seemed to rise to
the top more often than the others. * In citing this [Hollander's] article
we note that it works on two levels: it not only assesses Sraffa's
interpretation of Ricardo as an historical figure in his own right. Drawing
on the newly available archival materials, Sraffa's Cambridge lectures,
Hollander sheds new light on a particularly vexing controversy in the
history of economic thought. The paper is impressively and powerfully
argued.

The committee found two other articles to be sufficiently strong contenders
that they suggested I publicly acknowledge them as strong runners up. I am
quite pleased to do so. Two of the authors are with us.

The two articles are:

Malcolm Rutherford "Understanding Institutional Economics: 1918-1929,"
published in the Journal of the History of Economic Thought, volume 22, no
3, September 2000

and

Luigino Bruni and Robert Sugden, "Moral Canals: Trust and Social Capital in
the Work of Hume, Smith, and Genovesi," published in Economics and
Philosophy, Volume 16, no. 1, April 2000.

Dan Hammond
HES President
July 1, 2001