From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross Emmett)
Date:

[Here is Dan Hammond's announcement of the Dorfman Dissertation award at
the History of Economics Society meeting, July 1, 2001. -- RBE]

2001 Joseph Dorfman Best Dissertation Award

Dr. Bert Mosselmans, "From Classical to Neoclassical: The Economic Thought
of William Stanley Jevons and its Relation to his Ethics, Logic and
Aesthetics."

In 1990 the History of Economics Society established an annual prize for
the best dissertation in the history of economics. Beside the honor, there
is a stipend of plus expense money for the winner to attend the Society's
annual conference, and be presented with the award at the banquet.

In 1992 the family of Joseph Dorfman, historian of economic thought and
Distinguished Fellow of the Society, endowed a permanent fund for the
award, which is now the Joseph Dorfman Best Dissertation Award.

Since the competition was first held in 1990 there have been eleven winners
of the Dorfman Award. Each of these individuals has made an outstanding
contribution in their dissertation to the history of economics. A number of
the winners have, through their participation in Society conferences and
committees, become leaders within the HES. Most of the winners have built
from their dissertations distinguished research programs.

I have every confidence that this year's winner will continue this
tradition. I will quote just one statement from the Dorfman Prize Committee
(Avi Cohen [chair], Neil Niman, and Jim Henderson): "Mosselmans's
dissertation lives up to its title -- it is a model of breadth, depth and
subtlety of scholarship, drawing a compelling picture of Jevons's thought
as a unified whole."

Our winner wrote his dissertation at the Free University of Brussels under
the supervision of Dr. Dirk Frantzen. I am delighted to present the 2001
Joseph Dorfman Best Dissertation Award to Dr. Bert Mosselmans for his
dissertation, "From Classical to Neoclassical: The Economic Thought of
William Stanley Jevons and its Relation to his Ethics, Logic and
Aesthetics."

Dan Hammond
HES President
July 1, 2001