Date:
Dear Thomas,

Many thanks for pointing out Friedman's response to DeLong! I had not
caught this (I will plead extenuating circumstances, since I was out of the
country for 6 months at that time and had to dig through my pile of
accumulated, and unread,  journals from that time to find the relevant
issue).

Friedman's response is interesting to be sure, but so is DeLong's response,
which I think puts the burden of proof back in Friedman's hands . And at
any rate, even if the problem with M2 and M3 didn't start until the 1990s,
that's a decade worth of data that was not foreseen and for which Friedman
does not offer any neat explanation. It would seem that 10 years is a long
time for the monetary authorities to wait to understand what they should be
doing with their monetary aggregates! Especially if they believe there are
significant lags in the effect of their policy actions.

But my real point is to wonder out loud to anyone else on the list whether
we have any statements from Friedman (other than his very short letter in
response to DeLong) in which he has treid to explain the effect of the
instability of velocity (in either the 1980s or the 1990s) on his long
advocacy of monetary targeting?

Best,
Brad