From:
[log in to unmask] (G. M. Ambrosi)
Date:

A.C. Pigou, the successor of Alfred Marshall on the Chair for Political Economy at
Cambridge University since 1908,  once was asked to give a judgement on a publication
about early theories of value. He is quoted by Blaug (1968), p.1. as having replied:
(Blaug, Mark (1968)Economic Theory in Retrospect. 2nd ed., London : Heinemann)

"These antiquarian researches have no great attraction for one who finds it difficult
enough to read what is now thought on economic problems, without spending time in studying
confessedly inadequate solutions that were offered centuries ago."

I have not detected where Blaug has Pigou's sentence from.

The book in question was said (I believe -I do not have Blaug, 1968, at my
disposal at the moment) to have been Theories of Value before Adam Smith, the author, not
named by Blaug, probably was Sewall, H. R. (1901): The Theory of Value Before Adam Smith,
Publications of the American Economic Association.

Michael Ambrosi