Date:
Jean-Baptiste Say was pretty scathing. I have a recollection that the Cours
complet has a line similar to the "wrong ideas of dead men", but I don't have
access to the source. These, from the English translation of the 4th edition of
the Traite, give the sense:

Say: Introduction, in paragraph I.76

The science [of political economy] must be stript of many false opinions; but
this labour must be confined to such errors as are generally received, and to
authors of acknowledged reputation. For what injury can an obscure writer or a
discredited dogma effect?

Say: Introduction, in paragraph I.82

In support of antiquated errors, it has also been said, "that there surely must
be some foundations for opinions, so generally embraced by all mankind; and
that we ourselves ought rather to call in question the observations and
reasonings which overturn what has been hitherto so uniformly maintained and
acquiesced in by so many individuals, distinguished alike by their wisdom and
benevolence." Such reasoning, it must be acknowledged, should make a profound
impression on our minds, and even cast some doubts on the most incontrovertible
positions, had we not alternately seen the falsest hypotheses now universally
recognized as such, everywhere received and taught during a long succession of
ages. It is yet but a very little time, since the rudest as well as the most
refined nations, and all mankind, from the unlettered peasant to the
enlightened philosopher, believed in the existence of but four material
elements. No human being had even dreamt of disputing the doctrine, which is
nevertheless false; insomuch that a tyro in natural philosophy, who should at
present consider earth, air, fire, and water, as distinct elements, would be
disgraced. How many other opinions, as universally prevailing and as much
respected, will in like manner pass away. There is something epidemical in the
opinions of mankind; they are subject to be attacked by moral maladies which
infect the whole species. Periods at length arrive when, like the plague, the
disease wears itself out and loses all its malignity; but it still has required
time. The entrails of the victims were consulted at Rome three hundred years
after Cicero had remarked, that the two augurs could no longer examine them
without laughter.

Evelyn L. Forget