From:
[log in to unmask] (Graham Brownlow)
Date:

Dear Professor Caldwell,

There are a number studies off the top of my head that may be useful for looking at this
topic, these include:

W. Block and M.Walker, 'Entrophy in the Canadian Economics Profession: Sampling Consensus
on the Major Issues', Canadian Public Policy, Vol 14, No.2 (1988), pp.137-50.

B. Frey et al, 'Consensus and Dissention Among Economists: An Empirical Enquiry', American
Economic Review, vol.74, No.5 (1984), pp.986-94.

M.Ricketts and E.Shoesmith, British Economic Opinion: A Survey of a Thousand Economists,
Institute of Economic Affairs, London, (1990).

 This last one is very substantive, and has some interesting findings. It is concerned
with the opinions of 1000 UK economists regardless of place of employment in government,
education or business. The survey indicated that place of employment and gender affected
stance on some policy issues, as well as a greater support for redistribution than in the
North American surveys .

There is also an issue Kyklos (I forget the date, sorry) devoted to the topic of
'American' versus 'European' views of Economics, this may have relevant citations. Frey
may be the best writer on this topic. I hope this information is of some use.

Graham Brownlow
Queen's University, Belfast