From:
[log in to unmask] (GREG RANSOM)
Date:
THe follow is from the UCLA Oral History interviews with
Hayek by Alchian, Buchanan, Bork, Craver, etc.:

Hayek:  "I now realize .. that the decisive influence was just
reading Menger's _Grundsetze_.  I probably derived more from not
only the _Grudsetze_ but also the _Methodenbuch_, not for what
it says on methodology but for what it says on general sociology.
This conception of the sponeneous generatin of institutions is
worked out more beautifully there than in any other book I know."

Robert Bork:  "Is it possible for you to identify now the major
intellectual inflences on the development of your thought?.."

Hayek:  "Oh, I think the main influence was the influence of Carl
Menger's original book, a book which founded the Austrian school
and which convinced me that there were real intellectual problems
in eoconomics.  I never got away from this."

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Philosophy
UC-Riverside