Date:
A fascinating project....

I can't help you with this one in any really substantial way, but you ought
consider adding to your reading list a book that I have just been asked to
review for the British magazine Third Way (Oliver Bennett's Cultural
Pessimism,
Edinburgh University Press, just published) which includes the
psychological,
moral, political, scientific, literary and economic dimensions, but focuses
only on the last decades of the twentieth century.

So though not on your period, you might gain some interesting insights on
your
topic, specially as Bennett ranges fairly far back historically...

Prabhu Guptara
Switzerland