From:
[log in to unmask] (Roger Sandilands)
Date:
Here is small part of what Henry George wrote about the biological influence on the
natural rate of interest in "Progress and Poverty", Book III, Ch.III:

"...But all wealth is not of the nature of planes, or planks, or money, nor is all
production merely the turning into other forms of the inert matter of the universe. It is
true that if I put away money it will not increase. But suppose, instead, I put away wine.
At the end of a year I will have an incraesed value, for the wine will have increased in
quality...

"...Now what gives the increase in these cases [of wine, bees, sheep, etc.] is something
which, though it generally requires labour to utilise it, is yet distinct and separable
from labour -- the active power on Nature; the principle of growth, of reproduction, which
everywhere characterises all the forms of that mysterious thing or condition which we call
life. And it seems to me that it is this which is the cause of interest, or the increase
of capital over and above that due to labour. There are, so to speak, in the movements
which make up the everlasting flux of Nature certain vital currents, which will, if we use
them, aid us, with a force independent of our own efforts, in turning matter into the
forms we desire -- that is to say, into wealth..."

Roger Sandilands