From:
[log in to unmask] (Patrick Gunning)
Date:

I wrote:

"In my view, a sociology of economics would be about the organization of individuals who
study particular problems and who use the "unified method of reasoning." It would probably
exclude many people who have been labeled "economists" by themselves and others. The
methodology of economics, by my definition, refers to the study of the unified method of
reasoning."

Warren Samuels replied:

"TOO EXCLUSIVIST FOR MY TASTE AS SOCIOLOGY OF ECONOMICS; HENCE, AN EXAMPLE OF HOW PREMISES
AND PRECONCEPTIONS INFLUENCE FINDINGS."

I respond:

It is a mystery to me, Warren, how one can write or teach about the sociology of economics
without starting with some premise of preconception. The important question, it seems to
me, is which premise or preconception (or set thereof) we should start with. Which ones
might you suggest?

Regards
Pat Gunning