Date:
=================== HES POSTING ===================

re the original question on mainstream economics and logical positivism.
To complement the expert troika's comments

Logical positivism is definitely an inappropriate label for any of the
dominant methodologies implicit in practices within 'mainstream economics'
in the neoclassical era. The problem is that many economists have picked
up and used labels from philosophy on a fairly indiscriminate basis and
the labels have then been taken by later generations as having substantive
meaning.  I remember having Martin Shubik talking to my honours class in
microeconomic theory twenty five years ago, and he called himself a
'logical positivist'.  I thought he was wrong then (and now).  But MS
wasn't going to be removed from his acquired label. There was an emotional
element to such badges - it brought seeming legitimacy and security.
especially in a cold war context. There was also threatening subject
matter and intrusions from a nasty and brutish world (as in the Lester
attack on marginalism). Friedman's 1953 excursion into 'positive
economics' was a mess (albeit a great success for the discipline's
continuity); unfortunately, that article was picked up by several
generations of teachers for their first hasty and embarrassed class,
before quickly moving onto an exposition of the received wisdom.
Unfortunately also, now several generations of methodologists have pored
over the damned thing, giving it a legitimacy it never deserved. Lipsey's
textbook was similarly inappropriately labelled, misleading yet further
generations of students. Of course all 'isms' get appropriated and used
and abused as a living tradition of philosophical discourse and political
rhetoric (liberalism as Exhibit A). We economists, however, like to think
that a name is attached to a fixed meaning. In the case of the
appropriation of positivism within economics, we have stretched meaning
beyond recognition. As for the mention of the emphasis on deduction (at
the end of the original question), my estimation is that the answer is in
the sociological realm - logico- deductive reasoning is crucial to the
construction and delineation of a separate discipline of 'economics'.
Without it, we would blend indistinguishably with all those lesser breeds
- historians, sociologists, etc. and where would our self-esteem and our
influence be then?

Evan Jones
Economics, University of Sydney