From:
[log in to unmask] (Rosser Jr, John Barkley)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Directed by Robert Leeson, I have made a quick check.

It happens that I have the first five volumes of Paul Samuelson's
collected papers in my office here.  I do not find a paper from the EJ,
1958.  But, I do find a paper, "Aspects of Public Expenditure Theories,"
Review of Economics and Statistics, November 1958, pp. 332-338, in which
he uses the term "externalities" with the first time he does so followed
by ("neighborhood effects").  He thanks Richard Musgrave and Julius
Margolis for input to this paper but gives no cite for "externality."  I
know that at least Musgrave's pub fin text did not use the term prior to
1958.  Don't know about Margolis.  Perhaps it was part of the Cambridge,
MA "verbal tradition," prior to then.

It is noted at the beginning of the paper that it was based on a talk
Samuelson gave to the AEA in 1955, although it is not clear whether he
used the term in that talk or not.