From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)
Date:

The original question which started this thread asked about surveys
of welfare economics from Adam Smith onwards. The answers all
seem to relate to relatively recent periods. This is understandable
because welfare economics has only existed under that name and
in something like its modern form since the late nineteenth
century, but there is still an interesting question about the earlier
antecedents of welfare economics. Offhand I dont know of any
comprehensive survey. One way to trace relevant ideas back to
earlier periods would be to look at untilitarianism back to Bentham
and earlier, since this is surely where modern welfare economics
came from. There is a big literature about this. Another way would
be to look at writers like Adam Smith and ask what they said about
what was good for individuals and for society, since these are, I
guess, the basic questions welfare economics has to address.

Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])