From:
[log in to unmask] (h.w.plasmeijer)
Date:
Thanks, Mike Robison

My first article on the subject of the serials crisis was titled "The
publish or perish boomerang". The basic idea in this article was very
simple: "The greater the production of scientific articles, the
lesser the accesabilty to this scientific knowledge."

In my Dutch articles I discussed the common pool problems of the
library's, the copyrights issue and the monopoly power of the
publishers at length. My (modest an open for discussion) conclusion
is, that it is not monopoly power, nor the transfer of copyrights to
to the publishers, which account for the incredible prices of
academic journals. It is the organization of our libraries which does
the trick. Be honest: we say to our librarians: "This journal is
really important", and we have no idea about the cost.

Mike, the issue with books is not similar to that with journals.
Compare e.g. the price of an issue of 'Economic Letters" with the
price of a wonderful book:' A Bibliographical Dictionary of Woman
Economists'. (Edited by Robert Dimand a.o., published by Edward
Elgar, I am in it, thus highly recomended.) This fine Elgar book,
would you like to substitute it on your private book shelves for a
single copy of Economic Letters?

I do not think that Mike is right when he says that there are only
two ways to combat the serials crisis. His first suggestion is to
boycott Reed Elsevier, Kluwer (the Dutch companies) and I could add
some more (MCB is number one in price in price level, but Blackwell
is number one in price increase.)

I do not understand Mike's second suggestion. He wrote " the other
international scientific publishing conglomerate is much better
about their pricing and their copying rules are less draconian then
Kluwer's."

The problem is not, in my opinion, monopoly power. This is far to
easy. Monopoly power depends on the willingness to pay.

My concern is primarily the communication among scolars in the
history of economic thought. I worry about our journals. Are our
journals really accesible to everyone who is interested in e.g.
"Marshall's own views on industrial districts"?

I really would like our societies to put a new and free journal on
the web. A real international one. I do not think that this is the
solution to the serials crisis. But I really think that a journal
like this is in a nick of time an invaluable source of reference for
every economist who realizes that intellectual history is important
for what he is doing.

Henk Willem Plasmeijer