From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross Emmett)
Date:

[Posted on behalf of David Zimmerman. RBE]

I'm an English professor at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. I'm writing a book on
American Literature and financial panics in the late 19th century. At the moment, I'm
trying to find scholarship that examines the convergence of the study of the mind and the
study of market movements (either stock prices or price levels generally) in the late 19th
century. Such a convergence took place -- I'm thinking of early crowd psychology texts in
the 1890s and their chapters on financial manias; and of course the economists who began
to offer psychological theories to explain price movements. I'm looking for recent
*historical* scholarship that illuminates this early disciplinary intersection. Did the
early theorists of expectations and psychological determinants refer to work being done by
psychologists (Mills did not; Edward Jones did; did Jevons?)? Did psychic or psychological
research inform the economists? I'm especially eager to know if there exists historical
scholarship on the intersection of clinical psychology  (e.g. hypnotism and hysteria) and
the study of market behavior. Please point me to works or other historians who might be of
some help in answering these questions.

Thank you very much,

David Zimmerman
English Dept.