Date:

Re: 'A Discourse of the Commonweal of this Realm of England' by Sir Thomas Smith.

This work is discussed in Joan Thirsk's 'Economic Policy and Projects: The
Development of a Consumer Society in Early Modern England' (Oxford, 1978),
although she states it was written in 1549, not 1581, and cites a modern
edition by E. Lamond (Cambridge, 1954) rather than that by Dewar. I assume
the two are identical. Thirsk discusses the work itself in the introduction
(pp. 13-16), drawing attention to Smith's advocacy of state sponsored
'projects' to manufacture goods currently imported from abroad, and
associating him with the 'Commonwealthmen' statesmen who promoted such
enterprises in the 16th century. Smith and his milieu are also mentioned in
Chapter II, 'The Constructive Phase of Projects, 1540-1580'. Some
biographical information is included on page 33, mentioning that Smith
entered political service under the Duke of Somerset, Lord Protector under
Edward VI.

Incidentally, my own research touches on the social role of the
technoligical innovator or 'projector' in stimulating economic insights and
ideas of commercial growth in the 17th century, though with a slightly
different emphasis to Thirsk (who focussed on the disseniation of improved
methods in agriculture and industry). I see in the rhetoric and
self-promotion of these projectors the use of economic ideas that
subsequently became more widely used, and in turn acquired new meaning from
this usage. I would welcome any comments about this research.

Yours,
Thomas LengUniversity of Sheffield