From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Perelman)
Date:

In the early 1980s, I attended some NBER workshops at Stanford.  The rooms were jam
packed.  I soon realized that the participants had somehow arrange themselves so that the
seating was definitely hierarchical.  The most famous sat in the front and incessantly
interrupted the presenters.  Those with less status sat in the back and were quiet.  The
one exception was Debreu who sat in the back and remained quiet.  The behavior was less
than inspiring.

Michael Perelman