From:
[log in to unmask] (J. Barkley Rosser, Jr.)
Date:
Rod,

I fully agree. I was only responding to the claim that somehow the
arguments
of Hamilton and List reflected some kind of early nineteenth century
eclecticism and that they were going against some fully established or
deeply entrenched free trade doctrine. It is certainly the case that many
British economists were pro free trade in the early 1800s. But this
viewpoint had still not established itself in the policy realm, and would
only do so later.

Please note that I did not say anything positive or negative about the
Hamilton et al arguments, but only commented that views for or against free
trade reflected the situations in specific countries.

Barkley Rosser