From:
[log in to unmask] (James Wible)
Date:

I have been asked by one of the editors of the "Writings of C. S. Peirce"
about an article or book of Edgeworth's that Peirce might have been reading
when he referred to cobwebs in a book review in 1892.  Peirce was reviewing
Karl Pearson's, "The Grammar of Science" which was published in the Nation
in that same year.  Since I know only the basic stuff about Edgeworth, I
hope someone might know a great deal more about Edgeworth and provide a
helpful reference.  The editor's message to me and the relevant passage
from the review follow below.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Editor Cornelis de Waal [mailto:[log in to unmask]] writes: "I was wondering
whether you would be able to help us with a question that relates Peirce
with economics. In his 1892 _Nation_-review of Karl Pearson's _The Grammar
of Science,_ Peirce makes a comment related to F. Y. Edgeworth's cobwebs (I
will quote the passage below). Would you have any idea what book or article
of Edgeworth Peirce is referring to. Peirce owned Edgeworth's _Mathematical
Physics_ of 1881. I looked through that volume, but could not really find
any clear reference to cobwebs. (Could it be a reference to the cobweb
theorem, or is that post 1892?) Should you be unfamiliar with this
particular area, I would greatly appreciate it if you could suggest someone
whom I could contact about this."

Here is the context [a quote from Peirce's review]:

"In his application of his nominalism to problems of science, Prof. Pearson
has adhered to the spirit of the 'Kritik der reinen Vernunft' with
surprising fidelity. He has said things which Kant did not say, but which
are so completely in his line of thought that we almost seem to be reading
the old master himself. Many of his observations are interesting; others
seem quite untenable. Thus, he adheres to {AN:W8.rr.4.7} Laplace's doctrine
of indirect probabilities {\AN:W8.rr.4.7} in its least acceptable form,
relying here upon {AN:W8.rr.4.8} Mr. F. Y. Edgeworth's
cobwebs{\AN:W8.rr.4.8}. In a still weaker fashion, he allows himself to be
confused by such a writer as {AN:W8.rr.4.10} Dr. Ernst Mach, in regard to
the relativity of motion{\AN:W8.rr.4.10}. The conclusion to which his
nominalism leads him is that motion is wholly relative. If this were
proved, the truth of {AN:W8.rr.4.12} Euclid's postulate concerning
parallels {\AN:W8.rr.4.12} would be an easy corollary; but, unfortunately,
as far as rotation is concerned, the proposition is in flat conflict with
the accepted laws of mechanics, as {AN:W8.rr.4.15} Foucault's
pendulum-experiment{\AN:W8.rr.4.15} will remind us."

Jim Wible
University of New Hampshire