From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Maljoo)
Date:

Responding to Luigino Bruni:

Smith writes: " For to what purpose is all the toil and bustle of this world? What is the
end of avarice and ambition, of the pursuit of wealth, of power and preeminence? From
whence... arises the emulation which runs through all the different ranks of men and what
are the advantages which we propose by that great purpose of human life which we call
betteing our condition? To be observed, to be attended to, to be taken notice of with
sampathy, complacency, and appreciation, are all the advantages which we can propose to
derive from it. It is the vanity, not the ease or pleasure, which interests us." _The
Theory of Moral Sentiments_, Vol. 1, pp. 98-99.

Mohammad Maljoo