From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Maljoo)
Date:

Patric Gunning wrote:
[ ..."Holism" in such a world of uncertain economic process would refer to
the image that we build to enable us to conceptualize that interaction.
Adam Smith's invisible hand was one of the first steps along the lines of
building such an image. In the late 19th century, economists built a more
complete image of "an economy" [ my emphasis] in which the concept of
economic class was replaced by the concept of functions and roles....]

Some months ago I read a paper by Timothy Mitchell - "Origins and Limits of
the Modern Idea of the Economy" ( the paper to be presented at the workshop
on University of Chicago). It seems that Patric's comment gives me a chance
to check with the HES list's members as to the paper's central idea. Here
is a short summary of it:

The concept of "the economy," like everything else, is a mere construct, a
mere representation, not something natural. "The economy" today plays such
a powerful role in political discourse it is difficult to imagine that it
emerged so recently - that only since the middle third of the twenieth
century has it been imagined to exist. Adam Smith, never once refers in WN
to a structure or whole of this sort. When he uses the term economy, the
word carries the older meaning of frugality or the prudent use of
resources. From the works of Munn and Petty in the seventeenth century to
Smith in the late eighteenth, political economy was not concered with
structure of production or exchange within an economy, but with goverment
of the community's affairs. As recently as the 1920s, _Palgrave's
Dictionary of Political Economy_ contained no separate entry for or
difinition of the term economy. In 1932, Robbins' classic_ Essay on the
Nature and Significant..._ never employed the term economy in its novel
mid-twentieth -century sense. The economy came into being between the 1930s
and 1950s as the field of operation for novel powers of planning,
regulation, statistical enumeration and representation. Through these forms
of political rationality and practice it become possible to imagine the
economy as a self-contained sphere, distinct from the social, the cultural,
and other spheres.

Regards,
Mohamma Maljoo