From:
[log in to unmask] (Eric Schliesser)
Date:
I also tend to view the passage from TMS that Michael Perelman quotes as further evidence,
together with some passages in the first few pages of WN, that Smith may have thought that
different social stages produce a different kind of human nature.

But instead of citing my own recent dissertation on Adam Smith, which largely avoids
dealing with Smith's views on human nature, this list ought to know about and may benefit
from attention to Lauren Brubaker's dissertation on Adam Smith to be submitted to the
Committee on Social Thought at the University of
Chicago next month. This has an excellent and subtle chapter on Smith's views on nature
and human nature.

Cheers!
Eric Schliesser