From:
[log in to unmask] (Samuel Bostaph)
Date:
Larry,

You would know the legalities better than I, and those would seem to depend on the
copyright holder.

On the ethical question, I wouldn't think it ever proper to remove a co-author's name from
a work unless the entirety of his or her contribution were removed and the work no longer
informed in any way by that co-author's previous contribution.  A change in title would
seem to be called for in that case, unless it is a generic one.

In the case of Oser, I believe that his was the beginning organization of the work and I
can't imagine a co-author so low as to drop Oser's name unless the work was completely the
co-author's now--including substance, interpretations, style, etc.

As a reviewer, you couldn't fail to reveal that the work originally had a co-author; if
you didn't, someone who was aware of that fact would wonder at the thinness of your
apparent knowledge of the field.  And, this is aside
from the moral question.  If I thought a deleted co-author was being done to, I'd say so.

I don't see any difference between textbook and scholarly work, so far as ethics is
concerned.  In fact, if the scholarly work is truly scholarly--i.e., contains original
scholarship--it would have to be an entirely different work to drop a co-author.  In which
case, it would be a new work and the "co-author's" name was never relevant.  Catch 22,
anyone?

Sam Bostaph