From:
[log in to unmask] (Hansjoerg Klausinger)
Date:
Dear colleagues,

As announced in the preceding posting, I have two more queries.

In a column on "The fight about inflation in America" (written Nov 10,
1933) Fritz Machlup refers to a memorandum (or "declaration") by eight
university professors from Chicago, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio.
According to Machlup, in this memorandum, a critique of the policies
pursued by the Roosevelt administration, these professors state that "the
opinions of single economists, so influential at this time [that is, those
favouring Rossevelt's 'monetary experiments'], must not be considered the
representative view of monetary economists" (my translation).

In another column ("Blame the professors", written Dec 1933, unpublished)
Machlup mentions another memorandum, critical of Roosevelt's policy. He
refers to it as "the memorandum of the professors of the Columbia
University, authored by Professor [Benjamin H.] Beckhart and signed by 38
[economists]".

Again, may I ask for your help in providing information on these two
memoranda.
Once more many thanks to all.

Hansjoerg Klausinger
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration