From:
[log in to unmask] (Masazumi Wakatabe)
Date:
Tue Feb 6 08:02:20 2007
Hi Michael,

>"But whenever property is secure, industry free, and the public burdens
>moderate, the happiness or misery of the labouring classes depends
>almost wholly on themselves. Government has there done for them all that
>it should, and all in truth that it can do. It has given them security
>and freedom.  But the use or abuse of these inestimable advantages is
>their own affair.  They may be either provident or improvident,
>industrious or idle; and being free to choose, they are alone
>responsible for the consequences of their choice."

My quick Google search reveals one source which claims that this comes from McCulloch's 1826_An Essay on the Circumstances which Determine the Rate of Wages and the Condition of the Labouring Classes_. I cannot locate the exact page reference, since I only have the revised edition.

An update:

The McCulloch quote is in pages 16-17 in _A Treatise on the Circumstances which Determine the Rate of Wages and the Condition of the Labouring Classes_, second edition, corrected and improved, 1854.

Yours,

Masazumi Wakatabe