From:
[log in to unmask] (Jeffrey Young)
Date:
Thu Nov 15 14:32:36 2007
I would like to find the origin of the concept of the "demographic
transition".  Who (and when) first used the phrase to refer to the
idea that economic development would entail population going through
a transition from high fertility and mortality but slow growth to low
fertility and mortality also with slow growth after a period of rapid
growth following mortality decline?  The earliest use I know of is
Coale and Hoover in 1958.

Jeffrey Young